Monday 21 May 2007

Terigu Pulut in BP


Bubur Terigu


Pulut Hitam

This brings back memories!~ Memories of home, of the food, of the people, of my grandparents, of our old house, of our old neighbours, etc etc etc...

*Read this*

This uncle has been selling terigu pulut (a kinda dessert, black glutinuous rice and wheat) since I was a small kid, and he's still moving around town with his stall on a bicycle, rain or shine.

Being the gluttony me, I used to bug mum and we would drive around town searching for him in all his possible haunts, Caltex in front of Summit, BP Garden, Jln Panchoran Air, or the area around the Big Market. (If I go back home now I'm still gonna bug my mum to do that, but I'm sure my parents will be very obliging for the first week or two...HAHA!)

My grandfather first got me "hooked" onto terigu pulut when I was like really young. I still remember how he would come fetch me after my kindergarten classes on his bicycle, and he would stop and chat with this uncle (now I know he's Mr Mahalingam) when he sees him. And as usual, I would have something to eat. :P

Talking about that, my grandparents and aunts always told me that whenever I follow my grandparents around (for goods delivery or payment), I somehow would get "free" food. There was also this "Mamak" (Indian Muslims) stall, previously situated next to Rex Cinema, which sells teh tarik, nasi kandar, nasi baryani, roti canai and the other typical mamak food. I can't remember a single thing but apparently, I used to ask for free roti canai whenever my grandfather brought me there. (That, apparently, gave him great embarassment, but he still likes to bring me out...HAHAHA) And the amazing thing is, the mamak workers, aunties and uncles alike, all apparently adored me! Before I actually came over to UK, my parents and I went to that stall shop (further down Jalan Rahmat now) for dinner and that old man said he still remembers me (though I highly doubt it, I think he recognised my parents or my grandfather instead).

Anyway, I still remember how frugal my grandmother was, she would buy a single bowl for 50 cents, and she would ask me to bring a BIG bowl to that uncle instead of using his. (comparison: Chinese rice bowl vs. Chinese soup bowl) So for 2 different flavours, we paid only 1 ringgit for that, and it was enough for the whole family. And this, is saying something, cos my maternal family is huge, with at least 5 aunts still staying with my grandparents at that time. And us kids since my grandparents were taking care of us while my parents were working.
(It also happened to be one of the last few things I bought for my grandmother when she was sick and can't really eat anything.)

Those were the days...

Even my aunts staying abroad all craved for terigu pulut. If they're back, they'd never miss terigu pulut out on their list of 'to-eat' things. Almost everyone I know likes it, actually, I seriously can't remember anyone who dislikes it, or it's just that I plainly don't know...hehe...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting the BP site!

"hope" you liked it. miss the terigu pulut? ;-)

just linked you as a BP Blogger!

HopE said...

yeah~~~ totally missed it so much!
and thanks for linking me! :)

Anonymous said...

i travel to Singapore slot and have just tried pulut terigu absolutely gorgeous ,do you know how it is made as i would like to make it when i go back to sydney i think it is made of barley ,brown sugar ,and coconut but i am only guessing if you have a recipe that would be great
chers marco .email kiwimarka@gmail.com